Full-Time Permanent position. Competitive salary, supportive work environment and welcoming community. Rockhampton Grammar School is located in Central Queensland close to the Capricorn Coast.
Rockhampton Grammar School was founded in 1881 and is an independent co-educational day and boarding school private school, educating and caring for students from Prep to Year 12, as well as the Early Learning Years. The School is the largest independent boarding school in Queensland and the second largest co-educational boarding school in Australia. It is a leading school in regional Queensland and one of the foremost schools in regional Australia. The Rockhampton Grammar School has achieved great success in the academic, cultural, sporting and vocational fields over the past 139 years. The School has a total enrolment of 1,377 students who are exposed to our broad curriculum, giving effect to our commitment of Grow in Scholarship and Character.
The Schools principal place of business is in Archer Street, Rockhampton, where Primary and Secondary campuses and boarding accommodation are located. The School also operates an Outdoor Education Facility, Ritamada, at Emu Park on the Capricorn Coast. It has a small farm at Port Curtis on the southern outskirts of Rockhampton, and Belmont Station on the northern outskirts of Rockhampton for cattle work. There is also a rowing facility, comprising club rooms and a training gymnasium, on the Fitzroy River adjacent to the rowing course and Rockhampton Grammar School Rugby Park.
About the role:
The Maintenance Supervisor role is a hands on position that requires a person who is self-motivated and ensures that their work is undertaken in an efficient manner, and to a high standard. Reporting to the Facilities Manager, as part of the facilities team you will contribute to the overall performance and operations ensuring user expectations are met in relation to the built environment. The Maintenance Supervisor will be required to work closely with stakeholders including building occupants and external contractors.
Duties will include:
Maintenance Planning, Scheduling, Reporting
- Support the Facilities Manager with the development and implementation of an integrated online facility management system that links to the Schools Risk Management System, linking facility upgrades, budgets, capital works, maintenance planning and scheduling, maintenance requests and incident reports.
- Assist management in identifying and managing operational and maintenance requirements, including the management of repairs to fixtures, fittings and equipment throughout the building.
- Ensure maintenance works are completed effectively and efficiently within Budget allocation.
- Work closely with external contractors, including sourcing of quotations and supervision of works in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Provide information to all staff, users and stakeholders regarding works that are being carried out that may affect their working environment or conditions.
- Initiate and participate in reviews of services and systems improvements relating to the built environment.
- Perform periodical inspections of all assigned work areas and facilities.
- Coordinate and undertake general services across the School (e.g. office moves for staff, set up for events and functions, assist with furniture relocation).
- Ensure the procurement and stock level management of hardware and inventory supplies in support of maintenance activities within delegated financial limits. Requisition materials and supplies for projects and coordinate the efficient use of workers, resources and equipment, within budgetary limits.
- Be willing to accept out-of-hours requests for assistance for an emergency response when required (e.g. broken drain, leaking roof) and either attend in person if appropriate or arrange relevant contractors to attend.
- Independently plan and coordinates maintenance projects at multiple sites; analyse and resolve work problems, and assist workers in solving problems.
- Be flexible in an often-changing work environment and you will, undertake the full range of duties as directed by the Facilities Manager.
People and vendors management
- Planning, scheduling, assigning and supervising grounds maintenance staff in relation to the maintenance and upkeep of the School assets and property are kept to a high standard.
- Support the Facilities Manager in the day-to-day supervision and direction contractors and suppliers onsite to ensure that all facilities and building care is of the highest quality.
- Ensure all documentation (e.g. job cards, timesheets, consignments, material safety datasheets, and goods received) is promptly and accurately completed/maintained.
- Monitor productivity and workflow of staffs under charge; ensure adherence to established deadlines and preventive maintenance schedules.
- Assure proper routine maintenance/servicing is performed on all equipment.
- Coordinate work with outside vendors when in-house resources are insufficient to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Ensure that all staff in the team are supported to participate and complete the Schools induction and professional development programmes.
- Train and evaluate facilities and maintenance staff and ensure the safe and productive use of equipment.
- Instruct employees in the proper methods and use of equipment.
- Ensure proper training of staff in maintenance procedures, as well as records maintenance to comply with applicable regulatory standard.
Contribute to regular meetings
- Conduct pre-start toolbox Meetings with staff to ensure daily and weekly tasks are communicated, prioritized and understood to enable Staff to Safely perform their tasks.
- With the Facilities Manager, contribute to the improvement of school safety and compliance via regular Facilities team meetings including the Compliance Officer and Board Secretary/Business Manager.
- Attend Site meetings as directed.
Ad hoc maintenance work
- Undertake hands on maintenance work from time-to-time and supervise others in the team who have been allocated maintenance tasks.
Work, health and safety
- Support the effective implementation of the Work, Health and Safety legislation, Regulations and relevant Codes of Practice.
- Support the effective development, implementation and review of the Schools Work Health and Safety Policy and procedures such as (but not limited to) risk assessment, hazard and injury reporting, high risk work eg working at heights, electrical safety.
- Be proactive in the identification and resolution of work health and safety issues within relevant areas of the School.
- Uphold and support the Schools WHS Policy and procedures and follow reasonable work requests or directions related to work health and safety.
- Take reasonable care for your own health and safety and for the health and safety of others.
N.B This position description contains the most important duties and tasks regarding the job to be done. It is not an exclusive/exhaustive list.
- Uphold the Schools ambition and values, maintain professional behaviour, standards and statutory obligations
- Ability to work in an organized, safe and efficient manner
- Make sound decisions and work autonomously within the scope of the role
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collegially with others
- Ability to work well in a small team
- Be innovative within the Facilities function and take responsibility for outcomes, design, develop and test equipment, systems and procedures
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgement on complex matters.
SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
The School takes child protection seriously, and as a staff member or volunteer of The Rockhampton Grammar School, you are required to meet the behaviour standards outlined in our Practice and Behaviour Guidelines. You will receive a copy of these guidelines as part of the induction process.
Therefore as a part of your duties and responsibilities, you are also required to:
- Provide a welcoming and safe environment for children and young people;
- Promote the safety and wellbeing of children and young people to whom we provide services;
- Ensure that your interactions with children and young people are positive and safe;
- Provide adequate care and supervision of children and young people in your charge;
- Act as a positive role model for children and young people;
- Report any suspicions, concerns, allegations or disclosures of alleged abuse to management;
- Maintain valid working with children documentation;
- Undergo periodic national criminal history record checks;
- Report to management any criminal charges or convictions you receive during the course of your employment that may indicate a possible rick to children and young people;
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Rockhampton Grammar School is committed to protecting children and young people from harm. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, a process that includes, but is not limited to, comprehensive reference checks, an identity check, a working with children check and/or a national criminal history record check.
- Working with Children Check (prior to commencement);
- Safeguarding Children Online Training Certificate;
- Police Check.
- Open Manual Drivers with an LR (light rigid) or higher License
by Friday 11 September 2020.