Meaningful: Shaping the future of science education in Australia, High Impact: Directly support thousands of front-line superheroes: teachers!, Flexible: Work remotely or in the office. Negotiable hours (full time)..
Were living through what will be the most historic global event since the second world war. Its scary, Its confusing - especially for our youngest citizens - and misinformation is rife. It is more important than ever that our schools are armed with the tools, resources and training they need to guide our students. Not just to understand the facts of this pandemic, though that is of course important, but how to stop and critically evaluate those facts for themselves.
We create world-class resources for science teachers (we call them superheros, because they are). Stiles resources are used by 1 in 3 Australian secondary schools. All our resources are delivered through our web-based teaching and learning platform, and its all been built right here in Australia. Every single day, upwards of 80,000 students and 6,000 teachers around the country (and increasingly around the world) use our resources.
To get a bit of a feel for what we do, check out our latest lesson on the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Being a digital resource, Stile just so happens to be perfect for remote teaching - something that is going to be pretty commonplace for the next few months. As you can imagine, were busier than ever.
Thats why we need your help! We need you on the front-lines of our team, assisting teachers when they write or call in needing help. To do whatever it takes to make their day just that little bit easier.
Lets be clear, this is a customer support role but a support role like none other. Were obsessive about making every interaction delightful. We pride ourselves on getting back to teachers within minutes, not days. We love the idea that were making the lives of busy, overworked teachers just that little bit easier. They notice the extra effort we make, and are always hugely appreciative. We also believe in giving our team the flexibility to own and solve problems - there are no scripts here!
Were looking for someone to join our team who is as obsessed as we are with delighting others. This is a full-time role with an immediate start. This is not a temporary position - were looking for someone who wants to join the team and be part of something pretty special for years to come. Youll be only our third dedicated teacher happiness team member, but supported by a wider customer team that can jump in and help when it gets busy.
Does this sound like you If so, the first thing is to read the details section in the job ad. Your application should include your CV and a cover letter addressed to Katrina Don Paul telling us why youll smash it out of the park. Include a paragraph on which Behaviours of an Effective Stile-ist most resonates with you or which you disagree with and why. Submit both documents to [email protected] We can't wait to hear from you!
Whats in it for you
- Youll join an amazing 40-strong team of teachers, scientists, artists and engineers. Imagine a workplace where everyone genuinely cares about, and is working towards, improving scientific literacy amongst our young citizens. We hold ourselves, and each other, to a high standard, and love what we do.
- Youll be working on something that really matters. In partnership with teachers, were coaching students to become problem solvers and critical thinkers. The internet democratised information. We believe that with a strong command of science, tomorrows citizens and leaders have a fighting chance of sorting the misinformation from the facts.
- We (at least in normal times) run events (often at the pub!) for our teachers all around the country. From time to time, youll get the opportunity to actually meet people youre helping online or over the phone. This is pretty rare in this sort of role, and oddly awesome. Real connection.
- Your own professional development - were lifelong learners here at Stile. Alongside teaching you everything you need to know to succeed in this role, youll have the opportunity to attend internal and external PD.
- The annual company snow trip (though 2020 was a loss with COVID-19)
- A Mac laptop, and whatever other bits and pieces you need to be productive remotely.
How youll spend your time
Answering inbound enquiries
Teachers contact us every day in a multitude of ways: our in-platform chat, by phone, email and carrier pigeon (though the last is rare). Sometimes theyve got a simple question about how to achieve something with our online tools. Other times they want to know if we have a lesson on a specific topic available. Sometimes theyre just plain stuck. Its your job to get to the bottom of the issue and solve it.
Sometimes youll know the answer. Sometimes youll jump on a quick video or screen sharing session to really see whats going on. Expect to be liaising with our engineering department to identify and report software bugs (though of course, we dont have bugs).
If weve made a mistake, we give you the flexibility to make it right. Will you send them a hand-written card A hamper Up to you, but whatever it takes.
Making happiness even better
Youll be on the active lookout for ways we can become even better at serving teachers. One way is to continuously update and add to our self-service help centre, writing new articles that empower teachers to find answers to questions themselves.
Variety is the spice of life. Once youre thoroughly settled into your role, youll get the opportunity to participate in projects in other parts of the business. What this looks like will be guided by your interests (tech and data experience will be a bonus here!).
A bit more about you
There are no specific experience requirements for this role. Well teach you everything you need to know to be successful. Here is a bit about you:
- You delight in helping others, and you often go out of your way to do so. You love to see others succeed.
- You have a natural affinity for technology and computers - youre completely comfortable teaching yourself how to use new software and you generally pick it up far quicker than most. Youre likely the one always getting asked to fix someones computer. You know more hotkeys than youd ever actually admit.
- You generally like to leave things better than you found them (ever rearranged the spices cupboard) You love making things better. You pick up litter and straighten picture frames as you walk past. Most people think these are small things, but you know how important those small things really are.
- Youre empathetic. You have the ability to put yourself in the shoes of a teacher who is struggling to solve a problem and may be stressed as a result. You know how to communicate effectively to help.
- Youre happy chatting to someone online, and can write a good, well-structured email. Youre probably a proficient touch typer (yes kids, that means typing without looking at the keyboard). But equally, you dont hesitate to pick up the phone when thatll be easier.
- You're eager to learn. Super eager. You soak up feedback, incorporate it, and are constantly driven to be better. You can't help it.
- You're smart, and you love to get stuff done.
Hours and location
This is a full time, permanent role, but the exact hours worked will be based on negotiation with your team. We need some flexibility on when you work, but were committed to being flexible too. This role is about helping teachers solve their problems and the best time to do that may turn out to be a few hours on Sunday afternoon, rather than Friday afternoon. However, the hours we want to cover might be different in school holidays, where you could take days off, or public holidays, where we might need you to be on call. Whatever the case, were big believers in helping our team find the right balance between work and play, knowing this looks pretty different from person to person.
As part of the social distancing measures being put in place to curb the spread of COVID-19, were currently working fully remote, so youll need to be able to work from home. In normal times, our (awesome) office is located on Exhibition Street in Melbourne CBD, and while we have a flexible remote work policy, we like people to be in the office more than not.