At Newmont, our purpose is to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining. One of the largest gold companies in the world, we pride ourselves on our dedication to safety, environmental management, inclusion and diversity, and adding value and opportunity to our host communities.
Newmont Tanami is on Aboriginal freehold land 540km northwest of Alice Springs. It is a long-life, low-cost, world-class asset in a core Newmont region. The Tanami Expansion 2 project, aims to extend the mine life beyond 2040, investing in a hoisting shaft which will increase the production of the underground mine from 2.6 Mtpa to 3.2 Mtpa. Both the successful exploration within the underground operation and implementation of the first Tanami Expansion has laid the foundation to further develop the operation to remain a major contributor to the Newmont portfolio. A fully equipped camp is located 40km from the site offering modern leisure facilities for those flying in from Perth, Brisbane, Alice Springs or Darwin.
About The Role:
Reporting to the Senior Regional Director, the Health, Safety and Security Manager is responsible for supporting, embracing and promoting our safety performance and culture across the site. This exciting role offers a complex mining and processing operation, a strong and stable leadership team and an operation with a long mine life.
In This Role You Will:
- Lead a team of Health, Safety and Security professionals to support the Operation in safely achieving its objectives.
- Facilitate and assist in the alignment of HSS objectives and management approach between the Newmont regional office and site.
- Coach and mentor operational line leaders in the implementation of Safety, Health and Security initiatives.
- Ensure that the requirements of Newmonts Risk Management approach to safety are fully implemented across the site and that all actions required to implement suitable controls are effectively managed.
- Coordinate and maintain the Integrated Management System Emergency Preparedness & Response, and Risk Management Standards.
- Ensure that all relevant Newmont business processes are understood by all direct reports and complied with.
- Ensure that opportunities are identified and actively pursued for sharing of best practice within the department, site and the wider business by developing effective networks in these areas.
Your Skills, Training & Experience Checklist:
- Significant experience in Occupational Health & Safety preferably at an underground mine
- Tertiary qualification in OHS or related qualification
- Exposure to heavy industry/mining operations
- Extensive knowledge of the practical application of safety management systems, risk management and behavioural safety.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- A history of successfully leading a change programme, resulting in improved levels of performance
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that allows every person to thrive, participate, grow, and proudly play an active role in achieving our strategy.
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, placing and promoting the best individual for each position without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation, etc.
We invite women and applicants with diverse backgrounds to apply, particularly persons of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent. Newmont acknowledges Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respects their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.
Note: Newmont does not ask individuals to pay money to apply or be considered for employment or to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal.