Legal Secretary (Section 50D)
- Short term contract (2 months)
- Salary based on experience FTE $40,920 to $55,231 plus superannuation
- Attractive employee benefits including salary packaging
- Aboriginality is considered a genuine occupational qualification for this role as per Section 50D Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (WA).
About the role
We have an opportunity for an experienced administration professional to join Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia (ALSWA) team as Legal Secretary at our Bunbury office for short term contract. This is an important position reporting to the Managing Lawyer and this is an exciting opportunity to utilise your skills and experience to assist the legal team.
This position requires a person who is reliable, highly organised and self-motivated.
If you are passionate about providing legal administrative services, professional excellence and the ability to communicate courteously with Aboriginal people and stakeholders at all levels this is great opportunity for you.
Knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture, society and the issues affecting Aboriginal people is highly desirable.
As the successful applicant your responsibilities will include but not limited to greeting clients, answering large volumes of phone calls, preparation of legal documentation and correspondence, diary management, dealing with clients in an efficient and professional manner, supporting legal teams and management of administrative tasks.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrable experience in a secretary position (legal experience is desirable)
- Ability to type at 80 words per minute
- Knowledge in the preparation of legal documentation and correspondence
- Sound written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal with clients in an efficient and professional manner
- High level of computer literacy
- Demonstrated diary management
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a sensitive manner with client
- Be able to work in a busy and responsible role
- Be able to multitask and prioritise work
- A high level of accuracy in data entry
- Work unsupervised or with minimal direction in a team environment
About our benefits
We have a friendly, caring and diverse work environment. We offer attractive employment benefits including salary packaging (making part of your salary tax-free), free counselling services to employees and immediate family through our Employee Assistance Program and flexible working arrangements. We also provide five weeks of annual leave per year with leave loading.
ALSWA is a not for profit independent government funded organisation working to provide high quality representation and assistance to the Aboriginal community in WA
Our aim is to deliver a quality legal service and education which contributes to participation, empowerment and recognition to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples throughout WA.
ALSWA has 11 offices across regional WA and practices in the areas of criminal, civil, human rights and family law, as well as law reform, community legal education, a diversionary program for Aboriginal youth and now, the custody notification service. The service is a ground-breaking program for our organisation.
We live our values of caring, sharing and respect.
How to apply
Your application must include a cover letter outlining what strengths you could bring to the role and your resume. Selection criteria is not required. Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
All applications will be treated in confidence.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 12 July 2020
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are seeking to increase the diversity of our workforce to better meet the differing needs of our clients and to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees. ALSWA strongly encouraged applications from Indigenous Australians. We also encourage applications from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with a disability and provides an environment that values diversity and supports all staff to reach their full potential.