At Bayside Council, we are committed to a positive, flexible and supportive workplace culture, where our people and customers feel respected and valued. We are proud to serve our community through operating with transparency, integrity and in the best interests of the Bayside community to deliver exceptional service.
The City Performance directorate underpins the delivery of service excellence by providing expertise in financial services, governance, procurement, information technology and people & culture.
About the role
Reporting to the Coordinator Strategy and Reporting, this role will involve working closely alongside the Management Accounting team who will be providing insights and analysis.
The role is responsible for providing effective Supervision and development of the team including identifying and developing opportunities to enhance the teams capabilities to support finance functions and financial system management policies, protocols and controls.
You can also be expected to:
- Take responsibility for the preparation, measurement and reporting of budgets, forecasting and KPIs, including partnering with key stakeholders to ensure cost transparency.
- Use your strong communication skills alongside your excellent analytical skills to review, challenge and report financial results across various business units of, providing meaningful insights into the cost base.
- Hold regular meetings with business unit managers to discuss monthly results and understand the current and future team profile to prepare team level headcount and cost forecasting.
- Provide proactive commercial insights to improve financial outcomes.
- Prepare and maintain Councils Long Term Financial Plan (LTFP) to support the Integrated Planning and Reporting Framework.
- Review and manage the approval process for grant acquittals.
- Identify trends, key drivers themes and create reports to help systematise analysis processes.
- Assisting the Co-ordinator of Strategy and Reporting in implementing and managing the month-end and year-end reporting process.
- Manage the financial accounting team in preparing accurate audit materials, including managing the end of year financial audit and preparation of the Councils Annual General Purpose Financial Statements.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting, Commerce, or Business.
- A professional qualification such as CA or CPA.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in a similar role.
- Project management experience (defining project requirements, tracking and driving stakeholder actions to ensure achievement of project milestones).
- Well-developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to persuade, negotiate and resolve conflict.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to understand and analyse relationships between financial data elements. Financial modelling experience preferred.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills and experience with other data analytics and business intelligence tools (e.g. Power BI).
- Ability to assist in the coaching of non-finance professionals in financial management and planning.
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet targets with tight deadlines in high pressure situations.
What can we offer you
As an employer, Bayside Council offers a competitive salary, a flexible and family-friendly working environment which includes a rostered day off every fortnight and ongoing training and development opportunities.
Your application should include an up-to-date resume (No more than 3 pages) and a covering letter (No more than 1 page), outlining how your skills and experience meet the focus competencies, key accountabilities and challenges of the role and how you espouse Bayside Council values.
Closing Date: Friday 26 June 2020
Bayside Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to an equitable, diverse and socially inclusive work environment.