At Bayside Council, we are committed to a positive, flexible and supportive workplace culture, where our people and customers feel respected and valued. We are proud to serve our community through operating with transparency, integrity and in the best interests of the Bayside community to deliver exceptional service.
The City Performance directorate underpins the delivery of service excellence by providing expertise in financial services, governance, procurement, information technology and people & culture.
About the role
As a Financial Accountant, your role is to contribute and provide assistance in all financial accounting functions and help ensure legislative reporting requirements are met.
Reporting to the Senior Financial Services Accountant, this position will be primarily responsible for the reconciliation of transactions across the general ledger and sub-ledgers together with other key accounts.
As part of your role, you will be expected to:
- Take responsibility for financial and tax compliance activities (GST, FBT, etc).
- Perform daily bank reconciliations.
- Perform other assigned general ledger reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Reconcile corporate credit cards and other purchase cards and prepare cost allocations.
- Maintain and reconcile the fleet asset register.
- Support effective internal control processes and procedures.
- Prepare statutory and other regular financial reporting documents including ad-hoc management reports as requested.
- Undertake a monthly transactional review to ensure integrity and accuracy of the general ledger and sub-ledgers including the integrity of data transfers between systems.
- Process refunds and other rebates.
- Preparation of the Corporate BAS on a monthly basis.
- Maintain good working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist within the finance team to meet cyclical workflow deadlines and any other duties as required.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting, Commerce, or Business.
- A professional qualification such as CA or CPA, or close to completion.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role.
- Motivation and a desire to grow within the organisation.
- A well organised and a proactive approach to work.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to understand relationships between financial data elements.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and experience with other data analytics tools.
- Flexibility and ability to meet targets with tight project deadlines in high pressure situations.
What can we offer you
As an employer, Bayside Council offers a competitive salary, a flexible and family-friendly working environment including a rostered day off every fortnight and ongoing training and development opportunities.
Your application should include an up-to-date resume (No more than 3 pages) and a covering letter (No more than 1 page), outlining how your skills and experience meet the focus competencies, key accountabilities and challenges of the role and how you espouse Bayside Council values.
Closing Date: Friday 26 June 2020
You will be contacted by phone should you proceed to the next step of our recruitment process.
Bayside Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to an equitable, diverse and socially inclusive work environment.