- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants only
- Permanent, full time, circa $113k + super
- Located in Preston, onsite parking, nearby public transport options
About City of Darebin and Council
Darebin is situated on the Traditional Owner lands of the Wurundjeri Woi wurrung people. It is home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, and a large number of Aboriginal people work, live and play within the municipality.
Darebin is also home to one of the most diverse communities in Victoria in terms of culture, language (more than 118 languages are spoken), ethnicity, faith and beliefs, gender, age, ability, sexuality, gender identity, class, socio-economic status, income, education level, occupation and caring responsibility.
Council responds to the many needs of the Darebin community, notably Aboriginal residents and organisations.
About the Role
Provide business advisory support to Council’s various service units in the area of financial reporting, analysis and interpretation of results. Ensure that Council meets all of its statutory obligations in respect of budgeting and reporting. Ensure that budgeting is carried out within a longer-term framework with the key objective of sustainability. Manage and lead staff to ensure that services are provided in a timely and professional manner and in accordance with best practice standards.
View the position description.
- Manage, lead and develop accounting staff to achieve their business support responsibilities
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial reports
- Coordinate preparation of the annual budget and assist the Manager Finance in preparing the budget report to Council
- Contribute to the annual preparation of the long-term financial plan
- Support the Financial Accountant in the preparation of the Annual Financial Statements, Grants Commission return and other statutory returns
Skills & Experience
- Business degree or similar tertiary qualification
- Qualified Certified Practising Accounting or Chartered Accountant
- Substantial demonstrated experience in an accounting environment
- Substantial experience with relevant financial systems (e.g. Computron, PowerBudget)
- Thorough knowledge of current budgeting and reporting practices
- Experience in providing training to large groups of staff using electronic visual aids
As the local government responsible for an area situated on the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri Woi wurrung people, and home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, Council recognises, pays respect to and celebrates the long-standing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage within the Darebin community. Through its 2019 Statement of commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Council has re-committed to building strong partnerships with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, recognising their values, living culture and practices, continuing spiritual connection to the land and waters and their right to self-determination.
Joining Darebin, you will work for an organisation that proudly values respect, social inclusion, and making a difference to our community.
- Connect with a strong Aboriginal community and organisations
- Practise, participate in and celebrate culture, knowing Council respects Aboriginal cultural rights
- Learn and gain knowledge on the job, as part of endorsed work practices for Aboriginal staff
- Training and development opportunities
Applications close on Sunday, 5 July 2020 at 11.30pm.
Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply for this position. This action constitutes a special measure under section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic).
The City of Darebin is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organisation, or other non-merit factors. Darebin is committed to providing a safe and inclusive working environment that embraces and values child safety, and thorough ‘Safety Screening’ processes apply.