The Australian Psychological Society (APS) is the peak professional organisation for psychologists in Australia. The APS represents more than 25,000 psychologist members and provides resources, support, education and training, as well as advocating on behalf of the profession and the community about the benefits of psychology.
The Senior Media and Communications Advisor sits within the Marketing and Communications department and is responsible for delivering the planning, development and implementation of media and communication strategies. The position works across all areas of the organisation and collaborates closely with the executive team, policy, publications and resources, marketing and events teams.
The Senior Media and Communications Advisor will play an integral role supporting a range of media and communication activities for the APS, including strategic communications, public relations, issues management, media communications, as well as media and spokespeople relations.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic media professional with strong interpersonal skills to lead and implement the media strategy for the APS.
You will have the ability to create rapport and build long term relationships with internal and external stakeholders, in particular journalists, and the ability to work independently to meet targets and deadlines in line with a strategy. You will also have excellent oral and written communication skills in a variety of formats, including media releases, social media, opinion pieces, speeches and promotional copy.
But most of all, you will have an instinctive understanding of what makes a great story. You will have the ability to research, construct and pitch a compelling media story that will ultimately elevate and promote the profile of the APS, its members and the science and profession of psychology.
- Consult with and provide strategic media advice to the CEO and the Chief Communications Officer to enhance the profile of the APS
- Develop and oversee implementation of annual APS media strategy
- Actively identify media issues and create media opportunities for the APS
- Establish and maintain high level media relations in line with the APS media strategy
- Media liaison and promotion of APS programs, events, conferences, activities and members
- Develop and implement specific media campaigns as requirede.g., APS national conference, College Conferences, National Psychology Week
- Provide strategic media and communications advice to CEO, Executive team and Board of Directors
- Provide advice to manage crisis issues and assist with crisis management
- Develop and oversee the ongoing review of APS media and spokesperson policies
- Profiling of APS psychology programs, research, academics, students, researchers and members
- Managing media releases, media launches, media profiling and partnership events
- Media training of key APS media spokespeople; management of the APS talent pool
- Direct member communications from CEO and President, and through the APS Update newsletter
- Taking the lead on several identified communications initiativese.g., National Psychology Week
- Development of speeches and presentations.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Tertiary qualifications in media, communications or related field
- Minimum five years post-qualification experience working in a media, journalism or communications role.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing not-for-profit, social marketing, or membership body media, marketing and communication plans
- Demonstrated experience leading a team.
- Experience working in a membership organisation and/or not-for-profit organisation
- Advanced skills in social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- High level IT skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Kentico, Campaign Monitor.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should provide a short covering letter, an up to date resume and a document (no more than two pages in length) addressing the key selection criteria. Applications that do not address the key selection criteria will not be considered.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit an application immediately. Applications will remain open until 3 July 2020.