About the City
City of Greater Geelong is Victoria’s largest regional municipality providing services to a growing population of 244,000 residents across 1247km2 comprised of urban, suburban, rural and coastal environments located 75km from Melbourne. The spectacular beauty of the natural environment and the creative design and historical significance of its built environment make the municipality a major tourism magnet for local and international visitors.
Our people take pride in their work and are committed to making a positive impact in the lives of residents of the Geelong region. Employees are provided with engaging and rewarding work and a culture of respect and collaboration. On offer are professional development opportunities, flexible working arrangements, parental leave – 14 weeks paid leave, health & wellbeing program, discounted gym memberships at council facilities and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated and professional team, working together for the community.
About the City Development Department
This department is part of our Planning, Design and Development Division, and is responsible for the provision of information, advice and assistance regarding municipal building services, planning permits, planning scheme amendments and rezoning.
About the Role
This position provides an effective and efficient service to facilitate the assessment and issue of permits and approvals for all forms of proposed developments. This also involves providing a professional and customer focused advisory service.
One permanent full-time and one temporary full-time (March 2021) positions available.
Some of the key responsibilities in this role will include:
- Assisting with the investigation and evaluation of development applications within a team environment.
- Analysing applications to determine compliance with relevant legislation and ensuring applications are dealt with in the prescribed time limits.
- Assisting with the issue of Town Planning permits within the team to provide a coordinated responsive service delivery.
- Assisting with the coordination of input from various government departments and the general public to meet deadlines as set.
- Preparing correspondence in relation to Council decisions and enquiries from the public.
- Providing clients with a professional and up to date advisory service and assisting the public with enquiries.
- Assisting with necessary legal action to ensure compliance with relevant legislation, local laws, policies and procedures of the City of Greater Geelong.
- Representing the City of Greater Geelong in public forums, legal proceedings and appeal hearings.
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Tertiary qualification in Town Planning or Urban Studies.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge and ability to interpret town planning legislation and practices and associated legislation.
- Awareness of current trends and issues affecting town planning.
- Well- developed analytical, investigative, interpretative and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage change and be innovative.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the Position Description link to view more information about this position. Applicants must address the Key Selection Criteria as listed in the position description.
Applications close 5:00pm Friday 3 April 2020.
Click the Apply for this job button to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
City of Greater Geelong values equal opportunity, fairness and enjoys a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, and people of all other cultural backgrounds.