At Newmont, our purpose is to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining. One of the largest gold companies in the world, we pride ourselves on our dedication to safety, environmental management, inclusion and diversity, and adding value and opportunity to our host communities.
Newmont Tanami is on Aboriginal freehold land 540km northwest of Alice Springs. It is a long-life, low-cost, world-class asset in a core Newmont region. The Tanami Expansion 2 project, aims to extend the mine life beyond 2040, investing in a hoisting shaft which will increase the production of the underground mine from 2.6 Mtpa to 3.2 Mtpa. Both the successful exploration within the underground operation and implementation of the first Tanami Expansion has laid the foundation to further develop the operation to remain a major contributor to the Newmont portfolio. A fully equipped 800 bed camp is located 40km from the site offering modern leisure facilities for those flying in from Perth, Brisbane, Alice Springs or Darwin.
About The Role:
You will be responsible for all geotechnical aspects of design, planning and execution of Tanami Expansion 2 (TE 2) underground infrastructure. Based on-site at Tanami, the role reports to the Principal Mining Projects Lead but will be located within the Geotechnical Engineering team and be accountable to the Strategic Planning Superintendent and Senior Project Geotechnical Engineer
This role is offered on a fixed term basis to end of 2021 and is fly in / fly out from Darwin, Alice Springs, Brisbane or Perth on an 8/6 roster, some attendance to the TE2 project office in Subiaco will also be required.
In this Role, You Will:
- Support the Senior Project Geotechnical Engineer to create and deliver geotechnical designs and planning required for the execution of TE 2.
- Build strong working relationships to engage key stakeholder groups including Technical Services, Mine Operations, and the TE 2 Project team.
- Assist with geotechnical analysis of TE 2 mass excavations and standard development areas, and provide guidance to the Senior Project Mining Engineer on geotechnical design parameters.
- Work in conjunction with the Project Mining Engineers and the Development Superintendent to develop detailed plans outlining the sequenced ground support activities required for the construction of mass excavations and standard mine development for the TE 2 project.
- Assist with the preparation of detailed Ground Support Instruction Plans for TE 2 mine development, progress these through review stages, and obtain sign-off from all relevant stakeholders in a timely fashion that facilitates compliance to the TE 2 project schedule.
- Work collaboratively with the Project Mining Engineers to ensure that TE 2 ground support is integrated into the 12-week schedule, including forecasting of required resources.
- Identify opportunities to bring forward the schedule of TE 2 development. Engage appropriate stakeholders, assess opportunities and develop these within the mine plan.
- Assist with the development and implementation of QAQC programmes to ensure compliance with design for as-built excavations, installed ground support and instrumentation.
Your Skills, Training & Experience Checklist:
- Tertiary Qualification Bachelor of Engineering (Geotechnical) or equivalent.
- 5 years experience in an underground geotechnical engineering role with exposure to design, development and projects.
- Experience in development and construction of mass excavations will be highly regarded.
- Proficiency in mine planning software (Vulcan preferred).
- Proficiency in Map3D and Rocscience software suite.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that allows every person to thrive, participate, grow, and proudly play an active role in achieving our strategy.
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, placing and promoting the best individual for each position without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation, etc.
We invite women and applicants with diverse backgrounds to apply, particularly persons of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent. Newmont acknowledges Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respects their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.