The primary purpose of the Administration Assistant is to ensure the smooth day to day running of Bulla Cemetery.
The role is the public face of Bulla Cemetery Trust and supports the functions of the Trust.
Work from home with occasional after-hours meetings in Bulla
20 hours per fortnight
The salary and conditions are in accordance with Clerks Private Sector Award 2010 with on call, home internet and use of private vehicles.
Position reports to
Bulla Cemetery Trust Chair and Secretary
6pm, Monday 23rd March 2020
About Bulla Cemetery
Bulla Cemetery is a Class B Cemetery and is currently operational and a historically significant cemetery.
The land for the Bulla Cemetery was granted in 1864 with the earliest recorded burial being in 1867. The cemetery provides a good example of funeral customs dating back to the 19th century, and contains some significant graves including the graves of numerous locally prominent people. The well-defined formal layout of the cemetery, its collection of monuments and grave markers, and the outstanding plantings make the cemetery an excellent example of early burial customs and tastes.
The cemetery is bounded by mature Stone Pines (Pinus pinea) and Monterey Pines (Pinus radiata). Mature exotic and native trees also grow within the cemetery.
In recent years the cemetery has expanded and it now has a large area of land that is used for non-denominational interments. These graves are monumental, as the cemetery does not have a lawn section. A gazebo has also been built for the use of cemetery visitors.
For more information about Bulla Cemetery governance please see:
Administration Assistant Selection criteria
The Bulla Cemetery Trust Administration Assistant executes a range of functions which include:
- Preparing abstract of accounts and regular financial reports for trust consideration and approval
- Immediate deposit of trust income into bank
- Preparing invoices and confirming payments for accounts
- Reviewing and updating the trust fee schedule as approved by the trust
- Monitoring website, social media and other media relating to the cemetery
- Providing occasional support services to the Secretary of the trust
- Regulatory compliance and reporting responsibilities
- Maintaining and updating cemetery records
- Managing systems, processes and databases for historical records management
- Assisting in the development of operational policies, procedures and guidelines
- Communication to key groups including Trust Members, Funeral Directors and Monumental Masons
- Managing regular operational subcontractors and service providers
- Managing Funeral and Interment arrangements
- Processing applications from Monumental Masons for the establishment or alteration of memorials as directed by the trust
- Ensuring all customer and community enquiries both verbally and in writing are received, logged and referred appropriately
- Other ad hoc duties as required
To succeed in this position, you will have:
- 2+ years experience in business administration or in a similar role
- Demonstrated experience managing records management systems
- Appreciation of regulatory compliance
- Superior standard of ethics and professionalism
- Microsoft Office suite expertise at an Intermediate level
- Previous experience with Xero or similar accounting package
- Ability to attend the Victorian Cemetery Trusts Governance and Operational Training Program
- The successful applicants offer will be subject to a national police check.
- A 6 month probation period applies to this role.
- The position will undertake an annual review with the Chair and Secretary of the Trust.
How and where to apply
Other relevant information
The successful applicant must be with in a half hour commute distance of the Bulla Cemetery and have the use of a reliable car at short notice.
- Attend after hours meetings for the trust.
- Be available to meet subcontractors on site as needed.
- Be able to work from home and have reliable home internet.
- A mobile phone will be provided to receive all cemetery enquiries and must be answered during business hours.