PUBLICIST Allen & Unwin
Are you more often than not found with a book, magazine or screen in hand
Are you a great communicator
Do you love to brainstorm and problem solve
An exciting opportunity has opened for an experienced publicist to join our fast paced and dynamic Publicity team.
This is your chance to join Australias leading independent publisher, Allen & Unwin.
Founded in 1914 and voted "Publisher of the Year" thirteen times, A&U proudly publishes a broad range of local and international authors. Our bestselling list is full of innovative thinkers and award winners including Kitty Flanagan, Clementine Ford, Chris Hammer, Kate Morton, Sally Rooney, Michael Connolly, Christos Tsiolkas and Charlotte Wood amongst others. While we are Australian owned and operated, we are international in our thinking, with offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland and London, a global network of connected partners, and a local list that is unrivalled in scope and quality.
About the role
We are looking for someone very special to join us to promote our wonderful authors and list.
Reporting to the Publicity Director, the Publicist will take a strategic approach to developing smart, creative campaigns and tours across the year. More than ever before it is important that A&U authors stand out from the pack and we want someone who will roll up their sleeves and help make that noise.
Key to the success of this role is the ability to build strong working relationships founded in trust and respect with A&U authors, media, booksellers, festivals and event organisers. We are looking for someone with excellent organisation and communication skills, the ability to work well under pressure, across multiple projects and on tight deadlines. A solid understanding of the Australian media landscape is required, and publishing experience will be favourably looked upon.
If successful, you will be:
- A strong communicator: we want people who love big ideas and subjects and love talking about them!
- A team player: willing to share industry intelligence, participate in regular team brainstorming and problem solving.
- Able to work autonomously to manage campaigns and budgets. Show initiative and a hands-on approach to ongoing team projects.
- Organised and efficient with exceptional time management skills.
- Plugged into the Australian media landscape and literary scene.
- A reader! We love well informed, enthusiastic readers who can distil complex information efficiently.
- A positive, creative, problem-solver, someone who thinks outside of the box to generate coverage.
- Professional and friendly; treating all colleagues, customers and suppliers with respect.
- An experienced publicist with 2- 3 years experience.
All applications must include a cover letter outlining your skills and experience relevant to the role. Salary and title commensurate with experience.
Please email your application by Tuesday March 25th to
At Allen & Unwin, books matter and so do our people. We aim to provide opportunities for you to keep learning and growing, encouraging your ongoing development and creativity.