Our client is a Surface Mineral Drilling company that has several operational RC Drill Rigs conducting exploration drilling for Tier 1 mining companies in the North West and Gold Fields of Western Australia. Currently our client is seeking several Drillers Offsiders to join their team.
About the Job
We are seeking several enthusiastic and motivated Drillers Offsiders to work on Reverse Circulation Drilling Rigs (RC Rigs) at various remote locations in Western Australia that are carrying out exploration drilling.
For those candidates that are not familiar with land-based drilling operations or what is involved in working as a Drillers Offsider, please read on.
RC Drill Rigs can drill up to 500 metres deep into the ground with the key purpose of taking geological samples of the minerals below the surface. A RC Rig uses dual wall drill rods where compressed air at high pressures power a pneumatic hammer and drill bit which breaks up material beneath the surface and then extracts the material which is cycled up through the drill rods through a cyclone and splitter where several samples are able to be taken of varying sizes by Drillers Offsiders.
There are numerous tasks that are required to be carried out by a Drillers Offsider which can be broken up into the following categories;
Drill Site Set Up
- HR Driving the drill rigs, support vehicles and auxiliary equipment (Rod Trucks, Tele Handlers, Compressors Boosters, Fuel Truck or Pods and Water Tanks or Trucks, Caravans and Portable Buildings) to new sites which will be on all types of terrain from bitumen roads, dirt tracks and cross country (making your own track)
- Setting up drill rigs, support vehicles and auxiliary equipment
- Clearing, levelling and stabilizing ground for all the equipment
- Prepare designated areas such as sampling bags store, refuelling areas and access roads
- Setting up mine camps with caravans, portable buildings and auxiliary equipment such as Gensets and Water Treatment plants
- Conduct pre-start checks on Drill Rigs, Support Vehicles and Auxiliary Equipment which includes visual, manual and operating checks which may include;
- Checking and replenishing engine fluids
- Re-fuelling all equipment
- Checking and replacing filters Air & Oil
- Lubricating critical parts of equipment
- Checking Hoses & Fittings air, hydraulic and water
- Ensure lifting equipment such as Telehandlers & Hiab Cranes are in working order
- Ensuring all consumable are stockpiled ready for the shift such as sample bags, PPE & rehydration stations
- OH&S: Attend pre-start safety meeting, completing JSA (Job Safety Analysis) raising any safety concerns and working in a team to reduce and limit any hazards
- Pre-Start Drilling Meetings: All crew members will be assigned specific tasks which they will be responsible in completing throughput the shift
- Bagging large sampled (up to 20 kgs) as well as Calico Samples (2 Kgs)
- Manual handling of samples to sample stock pile
- Drill Rod Handling: Rigging and relocating rods from either rod truck to rig or rig to rod truck
- Continually monitor instrumentation such as fuel levels and air pressure
End of Shift
- Complete or assist in documentation such as daily job sheets, sample amounts and fuel usage
- Load up sampled to be transported to base
- Check equipment similar to pre-start
As you are probably aware, working on Drill Rigs has a reputation as one of the hardest jobs in the world and there is no denying that the work is not for everyone as it is not only physically demanding but is continually at a fast pace where having the stamina to maintain productivity over a 12 + hour shift is also required.
It is one thing to have the physical attributes and stamina to carry out the work however one of the most critical attributes in candidates that we are looking for is intelligence and awareness. You will be working at a fast pace while multi-tasking where there is allot of activity and machinery in operation. You will require the intelligence to be able to plan your tasks as well as the awareness (especially in safety) to be fully alert of what is going on around you where having the initiative to be able to jump in and help a crew member through to avoiding hazards is key.
Rotations & Hours of Work
Based out of Perth on a Fly in Fly out (FIFO) all applicants must be able to commit to the following roster;
- 2 & 1 (2 Weeks on 1 Week off)
Your hours of work are a standard 12-hour shift for Rig Operations which does not include the time getting to and from the rig location which can be up to one hour either way.
Locations of Work
As this is exploration Drilling most of the work sites are in remote locations in WA where the site camps are temporary. You will have a caravan or portable Donga to yourself where most remote camps have WiFi Internet and / or mobile coverage.
The remote camps are also accommodated with a mess area where a fulltime chef prepares all your meals as well as a shower and toilet amenities.
About the Candidate
Ideally we are seeking experienced Drillers Offisders, however we will consider candidates that do not have any Offsiding experience.
High on our list are candidates that possess the following key attributes;
- Highly motivated and able to give 100% to your work
- Hard Working
- Have a Positive / Can Do Attitude
- Posses a strong Work Ethic where you are Reliable
- Intelligence with initiative
- Possess Mechanical Aptitude
- Physical Fit with stamina
- Is a team player that enjoys contributing to a shared goal
- Able to live away from home in a mine camp environment for long periods of time
Although not mandatory candidates that possess one or more of the following high-risk licences are encouraged to apply;
- Rigging (RB, RI or RA)
- Dogging (DG)
- Materials Hoist (HM, HP)
- Crane (CN, CV, CP,C2, C1)
- Forklift Truck (LF)
Candidates must possess all of the following Essential Criteria to be considered.
- Posses a HR Drivers Licence with a good driving record
- Have a Senior First Aid or are able to get one
- Be able to pass daily or regular a Drug & Alcohol Tests
- Be able to pass a full medical
- Provide a National Police Check
Candidates will initially be employed through Staff-Net on a casual basis where depending on your experience you will paid between;
- $28.00 to $35.00 Flat per hour
- + Super per hour
- Temp to Perm
Our client is very motivated to employ candidates on a full-time basis once they have learned the work tasks and displayed a motivation to stay long term at the company with the desire to progress their career.
How to Apply.
Please ensure you have an up to date CV that includes accurate time frames and details of your past work history as well as your licences and current location.
Please Note: This is a role based out of Perth and candidates interstate or overseas will not be considered.