The Aircraft Noise Ombudsman (ANO) was established to provide independent administrative reviews of the management of aircraft noise issues by Airservices Australia and the Department of Defence. In response to complaints received, the ANO reviews how these agencies have handled aircraft noise complaints and inquiries, consulted with communities about aircraft noise impacts and presented aircraft noise information. The ANO also investigates systemic issues and undertakes targeted reviews of specific aspects of aircraft noise management. The ANO reports jointly to the Board of Airservices Australia and to the Chief of Air Force.
As the ANO is not a separate legal entity, staff of the ANO office are employed for administrative purposes by Airservices Australia. However, the roles are functionally, and in all other respects, separate from and outside of the organisational structures of Airservices.
As a Senior Advisor in the ANO, you will make a substantial contribution to the reviews of approaches used by Airservices and Defence to manage responses to aircraft noise, handle complaints, and consult with and provide information to the community.
Reporting directly to the Ombudsman, you will provide effective and balanced investigation and reviews of administrative actions, including decision making and complaints handling, to promote best practice and high standards in aircraft noise management. An ongoing part of your role will be to support and promote cultural change and the development of improved practices in agencies. To achieve this, it will be critical to establish and maintain professional working relationships across key agencies.
You will need to exercise sound, independent judgment and be highly responsive in acting on and responding to complaints in order to provide informed, evidence based advice in short timeframes. You will have a very high level of engagement with stakeholders outside the ANO, including regular, direct contact with communities affected by aircraft noise.
This role is being offered as Non-ongoing contract for a period of up to three years. Full-time preferred but part-time will be considered.
The Senior Advisor role requires a team player with excellent written and oral communication skills who can:
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity
- Exercise sound judgment and objective balance
- Analyse strategically
- Be highly responsive in acting on and responding to complaints and enquiries
- Work independently to balance competing tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Demonstrate professionalism and integrity when engaging with stakeholders outside the ANO.
The ANO is a small and dynamic team with a specialised ombudsman role. People enjoy working in this team because it offers variety, flexibility, collegiality and the opportunity to make a difference.
Skills and Experience
The successful applicant will have:
- Relevant experience and skills in complaints handling or investigating complaints or the ability to quickly attain these skills
- Relevant experience acquired through working in the aviation sector is highly desirable
- Highly developed analytical and strategic skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate well with diverse stakeholders, and the ability to prepare complex correspondence and reports
- A strongly developed capacity to engage tactfully and to influence, persuade and negotiate with a variety of stakeholders
- Tertiary qualifications are desirable.
Please see the link below to view the full Position Description:
The Senior Advisor position is located in Canberra. If relocation is required, we will negotiate terms.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please lodge an application online via the “apply link” attaching your resume and a cover letter outlining your skills and experience and how they relate to this role.
Applications close 11.55 pm (AEST), Thursday 13th May 2021.
Please refer to the security check requirements successful applicants will be required to undertake as part of the recruitment process.
Airservices values social and cultural diversity and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and the provision of a safe and healthy work environment.
In the interests of safety, we test for alcohol and other drugs.