About South East Water
At South East Water, we deliver healthy water for life. We’re here to help people live well and create a better and more sustainable future. We support healthy and liveable communities by delivering water, sewerage and recycled water services to 1.87 million people who rely on us every day and every night. Fresh thinking and collaboration are at the heart of our organisation.
About the Role
Our purpose of ‘Healthy water for life’ means bringing our customers the clean water they want, and safely managing the wastewater they don't. It also means thinking ahead, and doing what we need to do now, so that generations to come can rely on us too.
The purpose of this role is to lead all aspects of Treatment and Recovery Services activities to achieve South East Water’s strategy and operation plans. The role leads the team of around 40 people that is responsible for ensuring that the quality and monitoring of trade waste, biosolids production & reuse, recycled water production, wastewater treatment and associated operational and maintenance activities are managed in a manner that meets customer, community, environmental, regulatory and business expectations.
The role will ensure the efficient running of the following teams: Trade Waste, Technical Support and Water Recycling Plant Operations.
- Trade Waste – oversight for our trade waste customers ensuring there are sound business relationships with commercial and industrial customers.
- Technical Support – accountability for technical appraisals to identify and address risks associated with treatment plant process and operations, maintaining treatment plant compliance in accordance with EPA regulated operating license and monitoring regulated treatment plant discharges. Undertake site audits of industrial sites to assess industrial processes, chemical storage and identify potential risks associated with trade waste discharges.
- Water Recycling Plant Operations - identify, assess & manage risks associated with treatment plant process and operations to ensure the business safely maintains treatment plant compliance to meet all license conditions in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulated operating license.
- Develop strategy, budgetary and operation plans for area of responsibility and contribute to the development of the overall strategy for the Service Delivery group.
- Develop and implement workforce planning processes, systems and reporting to deliver greater efficiencies and improved customer service that will enable corporate targets and service standards to be achieved for our customers on a 24/7/365 basis.
- Lead, develop, display and implement safety initiatives, behaviours and accountabilities throughout the group and beyond, ensuring any risk is eliminated and/or controlled beyond compliance.
- Design and manage the product quality control systems (Quality, HACCP, ISO 22001) covering wastewater treatment processes, recycled water production, biosolids production, groundwater management and plant renewable energy.
- Develop and lead the soil and groundwater monitoring programme related to treatment plant sites and to the application of treatment plant products.
- Provide leadership, technical expertise, regulatory support and advice to the business on all recovery product areas including recycled water, beneficial biosolids and plant renewable energy.
- Required to participate on the after-hours duty roster as required.
- Undertake site audits of industrial sites to assess industrial processes, chemical storage and identify potential risks associated with trade waste discharges. Monitor and manage a number of industrial trade waste customers and represent South East Water on a number of external forums, including working groups with Melbourne Water and the EPA.
The successful person will need to have demonstrated experience in the water industry, along with;
- Tertiary qualification in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Civil/Environmental Engineering, Treatment/Process Science discipline or equivalent work experience.
- High level of technical understanding in Quality systems, public health, environmental monitoring and management systems.
- Significant experience in the design, construction, operations and maintenance of wastewater treatment, water/recycled water treatment and trade waste systems.
- Demonstrated track record in leading, developing and supporting a large, multi-disciplined, high performing team.
- Proven ability to use technical expertise to drive strategy, planning and key business decisions and influence key stakeholders.
- Experience and delivery in an environment undergoing significant digital transformation and/or disruption.
- Ability to manage and deliver within a complex and highly collaborative environment.
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated success in driving high employee engagement.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills.
- Proven ability to be visionary, conceptual, and creative coupled with a strong delivery and results focused approach.
- Strong stakeholder management, strategic and analytical skills.
We believe great teams do great work. We are ambitious, we work hard and we back one another. We embrace diversity, we challenge ourselves and demand the best, because that’s what our colleagues, customers and communities deserve. We provide flexible opportunities to work, learn and grow, supporting, encouraging and inspiring you every day.
Deadline for EOIs and applications is 12th May.
All inquiries and applications will be treated in strict confidence.