seeking a passionate explorer, be part of a dynamic enthusiastic collaborative team, variety of gold deposit types in near mine and generative exploration.
Newmont Exploration in the region is based in Perth, but operates across Australia. The group is responsible for growing Newmonts current operations in WA and NT and discovering new deposits across the region. The team has access to in house global technical specialists in applying the latest exploration technology in its quest for discovery.
Newmont Australian operations are located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory with roles in operations, projects and exploration. Regional Support is provided from our offices based in Subiaco - close to public transport and with onsite parking facilities. The world's leading gold company, we pride ourselves on our dedication to safety, environmental management, inclusion and diversity, and adding value and opportunity to our host communities. With operations on four continents, we are honoured to be named the mining industry leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for the past five years and the only one listed in the S&P 500 index.
Newmont is looking for a Project Geophyicist to work as a member of the Australian Exploration team. Direction and mentoring will be provided by the PrincipalGeophysicist for APAC/Africa.
Work will include planning, processing and interpretation of all variety of geophysical surveys to assist our quest for discovery. The work will cover a variety of gold deposit types in both near mine and generative exploration space.
Reporting to the Exploration Director with you will be part of a dynamic enthusiastic collaborative team working.
In This Role You Will:
- Take personal responsibility for ensuring geophysical exploration projects are conducted in a safe manner using and maintaining Newmont tools such as standard work procedures, hazard analyses, routine inspections and behavioural observations.
- Participate in the collection and interrogation of results from all geophysical exploration and applied research projects.
- Perform geophysical activities essential to exploration, near-mine or in-mine programs in support of a project or mine team, including geophysical data acquisition, geophysical data processing and interpretation of geophysical data in conjunction with geological team members.
- Follow best technical practices in the pursuit of processing, evaluating, modelling, and interpreting geophysical data.
- Engage consultants and contractors as required meeting the needs of the business to access expertise and labour
- Ensure that reporting required meets Newmont standards and is completed and distributed on time.
- Effectively communicate results and recommendations to management.
- Provide direction and act as a technical reference point while ensuring work outputs are in line with strategic and business plans.
- Manage land access, field logistics, and contract field assistants, geophysical and, where needed, drilling crews in accordance with Newmont exploration standard operating procedures.
- Understand and be conversant with State legislation and ensure all related exploration is in accordance with the Mining Act.
- Ensure all operations are conducted in an environmentally sensitive manner with due regard to local community concerns.
- Obtain the appropriate approvals before entering onto privately owned land, pastoral land, land held under Aboriginal Reserve or Native Title, and land held for conservation reasons.
- Ensure that close liaison is maintained with the appropriate people and government authorities and record these communications
- Promote and adhere to Newmont internal methodologies, policies, procedures and standards by consistently maintaining a high quality of work across all allocated functions.
- Provide input/informed commentary, improvement opportunities and areas of risk to management
- Be accountable for expenditure within the delegated limits of authority
- Tertiary Qualification minimum of a BSc Geology with Honours or greater (preferably relevant to geophysics)
- At least 5 Years Post Graduate experience in gold exploration.
- Experience working on a geophysical field crew to acquire data.
- 2 Years Supervisory experience.
- Safe and responsible work history.
- Strong PC skills and computer literacy & some exposure to exploration software technical packages (particularly Oasis Montaj).
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant Mining Act and Regulations.
- General aptitude and demonstrated ability in mineral exploration geophysics.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that allows every person to thrive, participate, grow, and proudly play an active role in achieving our strategy.
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, placing and promoting the best individual for each position without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation, etc.
We invite women and applicants with diverse backgrounds to apply, particularly persons of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent. Newmont acknowledges Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respects their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.
Note: Newmontdoes not ask individuals to pay money to apply or be considered for employment or to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal.