An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced and contemporary leader with proven strategic skills to become our new Principal Planning and Development. This role will suit a person with Planning qualifications, a positive and inclusive leadership style and strong relationship skills.
At the Town of Mosman Park, our people are at the heart of everything we do.
Each day, we are encouraged to work with purpose and passion so that together, we can shape the future of our Town and make a remarkable difference to our community.
Mosman Park is located approximately 14km from Perth and a stones throw from Fremantle. Nestled between Cottesloe, Peppermint Grove, and North Fremantle; we are uniquely positioned between the picturesque Indian Ocean and the beautiful shores of the Swan River.
We are a small and vibrant local government, focused on connecting with our close-knit community between river and sea.
Were seeking a fresh, new face with the curiosity and ambition to deliver great things for the Town and our residents.
By joining us, youll have access to amazing lifestyle benefits and entitlements to help you achieve your full potential:
- Additional superannuation (subject to individual contribution)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness programs, including an Employee Assistance Program
- Free parking, and close to public transport
Things you'll love:
- Working for an organisation that supports you every step of the way
- Being part of a place that really values a work/life balance
- Working alongside a friendly and motivated group of people
- The feeling of being valued, respected and having equal access to opportunities
- Fixed Term 5 year contract
- Total remuneration package of up to $163,000 per annum
- 5 weeks annual leave
To thrive and succeed in this role, youll be highly developed strategic thinker with the ability to work well across a diverse range of stakeholders both internally and externally to our organisation.
You will be passionate about turning challenges into opportunities to contribute to balanced outcomes, and advocate and develop future-focused policy. Your professional knowledge and practical experience will be highly valued as part of a collaborative team.
As a dedicated leader, the Principal Planning and Development will have the ability to negotiate, influence and achieve beneficial outcomes-based strategic plans and Council decisions to lead the delivery of projects. You will also participate as a valued member of the leadership team to achieve the Towns objectives. You will lead effectively to drive a culture of innovation, agility and customer-focused excellence during a time of change and opportunity.
This position is accountable for the proper management of the Towns Planning and Development in accordance with relevant Acts, Local Laws, Regulations and Policies. It also oversees the ongoing leadership and development of a dedicated team of community-facing staff (four direct reports).
The diverse range of services under the leadership of this key leadership role include:
- Planning (Statutory and Strategic)
- Building Services
- Health Services
- Compliance, such as swimming pool services
You set a high benchmark for excellence and performance supported by your exceptional communication skills and a desire to exceed expectations. You are expected to liaise with internal and external customers in a professional and courteous manner and contribute to the organisational culture in a positive way.
The successful applicant will bring to the role::
- A proven and natural leadership approach; you will have the ability to lead, work collaboratively and build positive working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results aligned to strategies and manage complex, sensitive and politically charged situations
- Demonstrated experience in project and contract management
- Ability to interpret legislation, carry out research and prepare reports and briefing papers on important policies or emerging sector issues
- A university degree in Urban and Regional Planning or similar
- Strong technical knowledge of strategic and statutory planning
- Technical knowledge and/or management experience of Environmental Health, Building Services, Compliance and Planning
- Demonstrated experience undertaking and/or managing strategic planning projects
- Relevant risk management experience
- Strong financial management acumen
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (including report writing)
Direct experience within the sector, while well regarded, is not essential.
Work related requirements
The recruitment process requires applicants to obtain a police clearance, psychometric testing, undergo a pre-employment medical including a drug and alcohol assessment.
For more information, contact Hannah Young, Manager People and Culture on 9383 6600
How to apply:
Applicants are expected to submit the following:
- Video submission introducing themselves and answering the following question:
What main strength you will bring to this new position
- Written application including resume, cover letter and statement addressing the Selection Criteria.
Closing date: 9am, Monday 1 March 2021
The Town reserves the right to commence recruitment prior to the closing date.
Applicants are required to demonstrate a commitment to the Town of Mosman Parks ACE values of Accountability, Connection and Excellence.
The Town of Mosman Park has an inclusive working environment with employees from a variety of backgrounds. We acknowledge that diversity in the workforce, increases the effectiveness of teams. We welcome applications from Indigenous people, workers of all ages, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.