Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants only, Permanent, full time. Salary circa $88k + super, monthly RDO, Preston based and close to public transport, currently WFH.
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants only
- Permanent, full time. Salary circa $88k + super, monthly RDO
- Preston based and close to public transport, currently WFH
About City of Darebin and Council
Darebin is situated on the lands of the Traditional Owners the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung people. It is home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, and a large number of Aboriginal people work, live and play within the municipality.
Darebin is also home to one of the most diverse communities in Victoria in terms of culture, language (more than 118 languages are spoken), ethnicity, faith and beliefs, gender, age, ability, sexuality, gender identity, class, socio-economic status, income, education level, occupation and caring responsibility.
Council responds to the many needs of the Darebin community, notably Aboriginal residents and organisations.
Darebin Families, Youth and Children department includes Children Services, Maternal and Child Health, Immunisation, Playgroups and Youth services. This department works in partnership to provide high quality, inclusive and accessible programs that respond to the diverse and changing needs of our community and support the care, education, health and wellbeing of children, young people and their families.
About the Role
- Lead an administration team to ensure high level, consistent and well-coordinated business and systems support is delivered to staff and the community
- Coordinate the facility maintenance issues from Council’s early years and neighbourhood house by liaising between Council departments, facility users and volunteer committees
- Coordinate workflow within the departmental administration area through collaboration and continuous improvement
Skills & Experience
- Knowledge and ability to apply customer service practices
- Demonstrated capacity to lead, support, supervise and mentor staff
- Good communication skills and the ability to liaise with administration staff direct reports
- Relevant experience in business administration or equivalent
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and in the application of other software programs including an understanding of Intranet and Internet in a Windows environment
As the local government responsible for an area situated on the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung people, and home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, Council recognises, pays respect to and celebrates the long-standing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage within the Darebin community. Through its 2019 Statement of commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Council has re-committed to building strong partnerships with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, recognising their values, living culture and practices, continuing spiritual connection to the land and waters and their right to self-determination.
Joining Darebin, you will work for an organisation that proudly values respect, social inclusion, and making a difference to our community.
- Career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working arrangements
- Learn and gain knowledge on the job, as part of endorsed work practices for Aboriginal staff
- The option to work a 19-day month
- Access to secure on-site bicyle parking and a range of conveniently located public transport options
Applications close on Sunday 8 November at 11.30pm.
This is a special measures role and only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples are eligible to apply, as per the Equal Opportunity Act 2010.
The City of Darebin is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organisation, or other non-merit factors. Darebin is committed to providing a safe and inclusive working environment that embraces and values child safety, and thorough ‘Safety Screening’ processes apply.