Waterfront location, Work within a friendly and supportive team, Prospects of becoming a partner/equity participant.
Associate - Professional team member that demonstrates prospects of becoming a partner/equity participant.
Directly responsible to a Partner for a substantial portfolio of clients, establishing meaningful and long term rapport with clients as the "trusted advisor", having independent and autonomous management responsibility and delegation authority to a small team of assistant accountants and administration support, and be accountable for higher-level Key Performance Indicators with your client portfolio and other areas within your sphere of influence and control.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Liaising directly with clients and providing a high level of advice in regard to technical issues across all areas of SME commerce including Accounting, Tax, Corporate Affairs, State Taxes, Insurance, Business Analysis and Audit and will engender confidence in clients by the manner and advice provided.
- Provide management, leadership and supervision of team members.
- Active participation with partners in the development, marketing and expansion of existing business and strategic planning.
- Highly focused on generating revenue for the business.
- High level of analytical ability in reading financial data and able to deliver business advisory services.
- Compile and analyse financial information to prepare financial statements including monthly and annual accounts.
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies, procedures and protocols.
- Ensure all financial reporting and compliance deadlines are met.
- Prepare financial management reports including accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues, expenses and balance sheet items.
- Establish and monitor the implementation and maintenance of accounting control procedures.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities.
- Develop and maintain financial databases.
- Analyse and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments and future revenues.
- Analyse financial information to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures, provide strategic business recommendations and provide solutions to business and financial problems.
- Perform complex tax computations and oversee the preparation of income tax returns.
- Research complex tax law and communicate findings to clients and/or Partners.
- Proactively support and maintain Quality Control of product and services provided.
- Mentoring to Graduate/Trainee Accountants.
Education & Experience
Minimum 5 years experience in Australian public practice
CA/CPA qualified (preferred). Lesser qualifications considered, but will affect remuneration level. If not qualified in CA/CPA, will commit to achieving this qualification.
- Experience in managing staff
- Previous accountability for job completion
- Previous accountability for client management
- Previous experience in a budget defined environment
- Previous accountability for business development and revenue growth
- Previous accountability for client portfolio
Key Competencies and Attributes
- Attitude - Positive, enthusiastic, personable, charismatic
- Able to provide leadership by example
- Strong communication skills & interpersonal skills
- Able to provide business advisory services
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Planning and organising
- Information and task monitoring
- Problem analysis
- Judgment and problem-solving
- Supervisory skills
- Proficient in using accounting software packages
- Energetic and self motivated
- Strong compliance background
Key Performance Indicators
- Client Portfolio - WIP, Debtors, Average Hourly Rate, client losses/retention/growth, chargeable hours, compliance lodgements, quality control
- Qualitative Assessment (anecdotal evidence) - Client relationships, work colleague relationships (teamwork), business community relationships
About Smith Thornton
Smith Thornton Accountants is based in the scenic town of Albany, WA. If you're looking for a lifestyle change but still want your career to head in the right direction, our firm may be the perfect step for you.
At Smith Thornton, our aim is to provide rewarding careers and an enriching environment.
Our mission is to help clients maximise the returns from their work and business pursuits the success, the money, the fulfilment in such a way that has a positive effect on their health, relationships and life balance.
We offer challenging work across a broad range of accounting disciplines. Coupled with opportunities for professional development and career progression, our office is in the heart of the Albany CBD, overlooking picturesque Princess Royal Harbour. Who doesn't love a view of the sea from their workplace
Our culture embodies a strong sense of family and community, as evidenced by our family-friendly environment, and our involvement and support of local charity and community events. This strengthens the relationships we have with both our staff and the community.
Applications close 5:00pm Friday 20 October 2020.