At Newmont, our purpose is to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining. One of the largest gold companies in the world, we pride ourselves on our dedication to safety, environmental management, inclusion and diversity, and adding value and opportunity to our host communities.
Newmont Tanami is on Aboriginal freehold land 540km northwest of Alice Springs. It is a long-life, low-cost, world-class asset in a core Newmont region. The Tanami Expansion 2 project, aims to extend the mine life beyond 2040, investing in a hoisting shaft which will increase the production of the underground mine from 2.6 Mtpa to 3.2 Mtpa. Both the successful exploration within the underground operation and implementation of the first Tanami Expansion has laid the foundation to further develop the operation to remain a major contributor to the Newmont portfolio. A fully equipped camp is located 40km from the site offering modern leisure facilities for those flying in from Perth, Brisbane, Alice Springs or Darwin.
Reporting to the Exploration Superintendent the primary purpose of this role is to facilitate the safe and efficient execution of geological field programmes.This wide-ranging role is responsible for the management of all aspects of geological field services including drill site preparation and rehabilitation, operational support for drilling contractors, core processing and sample dispatch and the management of remote field camps and associated infrastructure. Leading a team of Supervisors and Technicians the role requires strong leadership, organisational and stakeholder management skills.
The role is based in Tanami and offers an 8/6 FIFO Roster from Perth, Darwin, Alice Springs and Brisbane.
In this role you will:
- Manage a large team of Core Shed Supervisors and Geological Technicians, including the definition of team structure, personal objectives and performance management where required
- Coordinate drill programs and scheduledrill site preparation and rehabilitation activities
- Manage all logistics ensuringavailability of critical field consumables and equipment to the geological programs
- Maintain continuous improvement of field logisticsand core processing processes through the implementation of technology-centric initiatives
- Ensure a safe work environment through activities such as (but not limited to)defining safe work practices for core shed and field activities, regular inspections and critical control verifications.
- Provide effective planning, reporting and financial management through activities such as (but not limited to) preparation of annual budgets for geological activities andsourcingand procuring all requisite field consumables, camp infrastructure, vehicles and ancillary equipment to service the feological programs.
Your skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience working in the mining industry
- Minimum 3 years of experience in supervisory roles
- Drilling and earthworks contractor management experience
- Prior experience in budget construction and delivering to budget
- Experience in core yard management desirable
- Experience with regional and near-mine exploration activities.
- Experience in the use of spatial software (ArcGIS or similar) and demonstrated ability to translate digital spatial information to field based activities.
- A high level of competency with the Microsoft Office Suite
- A valid manual C-class license and 4WD capable
- A valid HR License and High Risk Work License LF (Forklift)
- Existing and ongoing permanent work rights in Australia (Mandatory)
- Cert II and / or III Geosciences and Field Practices desirable
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that allows every person to thrive, participate, grow, and proudly play an active role in achieving our strategy.
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, placing and promoting the best individual for each position without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation, etc.
We invite women and applicants with diverse backgrounds to apply, particularly persons of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent. Newmont acknowledges Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respects their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.
Note: Newmont does not ask individuals to pay money to apply or be considered for employment or to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal.