The Business Development Manager position is an exciting role that is key in continuing to build on Balarinjis long-term, valued partnerships with our clients, and grow new relationships by delivering intuitive service, strategic advice and exceptional communications in line with our premium brand positioning. You will work closely with Business Relationships, our teams in Studio, Project Management, Design, Communications, and Finance and will be responsible for achieving revenue targets by driving existing and new business services and communications.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Balarinji is a Sydney-based, Aboriginal Australian-owned strategy and design agency founded on authentic engagement with Aboriginal people, culture, art, stories and identity. Our ethos is to deepen understanding of Aboriginal Australia for major art and design projects nationally and internationally.
The companys work spans infrastructure and urban regeneration, branding campaigns, public art and curatorial, interiors, precinct planning and digital.
Best known for conceptualising Aboriginal art on Qantas aircraft, we also count in our client portfolio, Transport for NSW, Roads and Maritime Services, Macquarie Group, WSP, Frasers Property Australia, Microsoft, Nespresso and commemoration work in Europe for Department of Veterans Affairs.
We assist our national and international clients to express Australian identity through best practice strategic review and planning, Indigenous engagement and co-design.
Through our projects, we help build Aboriginal community capacity, by employing local Aboriginal people, fostering and mentoring local art practice, and by growing partnerships with established and emerging Aboriginal artists and designers
Continuing our founders commitment to Indigenous Australia, Balarinji has an affiliated organisation for good, the Moriarty Foundation. With centres in NT, NSW and QLD, the Foundation enables Aboriginal families and communities to unlock the potential of their children, to radically shift intergenerational disadvantage.
- To drive new business revenue in line with company strategic direction and culture, priority targets and budgets.
- Qualify inbound leads.
- Create and drive new leads and new sectors.
- Meet monthly/quarterly company sales target.
- Establish and maintain ongoing client relationships.
- Lead client meetings, output comprehensive notes and follow up items that are recorded in a timely manner.
- Where required provide clear, concise, completed and timely copy for scopes, proposals and presentations to meet client needs, in liaison with the Managing Director, Business Relationships and Studio.
- Be accountable for submitting pitches and tenders.
- Maintain the Leads and BDM function in WorkflowMax, Asana and Smartsheets in relation to the roles portfolio.
- Work closely with the Studio on pitching and post-conversion handovers.
- Be involved in project reviews to track financial performance for quoting accuracy.
- In collaboration with Studio and Business Relationships liaise with the Communications Lead to provide input for the Web, Social Media and Communication strategy to ensure online and general media presence best supports the roles business development focus.
- Efficient and structured e-file management.
Position Qualification & Experience Requirements:
- A skilled client service professional, facing into team, and facing out to clients, always focusing on the relationship.
- A proactive, agile, team-conscious attitude, with the desire to find solutions and achieve revenue results.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing client proposals and proven ability to secure outcomes.
- Degree qualified.
- 5-6 years of experience as an Account Manager or in excess of 5 years experience as a Business Development Manager in creative industries or an agency environment.
- Experience within industries such as construction, design, public art, production/fabrication desirable but not essential.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Financial and IT competency in MS Office for Mac, primarily Excel, Word and Powerpoint. Google Suite, Smartsheets, Asana, Workflow Max and Qwilir desirable.
Personal Traits and Skills
- Someone who thrives on achieving exceptional results.
- A natural communicator.
- A true team player.
- Detailed orientated, as well as big picture strategic.
- Professional and ethical.
- A high level of emotional intelligence to build rapport with the internal team and with our clients.
- Ability to work autonomously with initiative, as well as cohesively within the team.
- Excellent organisational, planning and execution skills across multiple tasks.
- Solution focused mentality.
The Business Development Manager position reports directly to the Managing Director on strategy, and to the Head of Project Management and Studio on execution. You will be joining a high-performance team that shares values, is committed to diversity, and enjoys producing great work together. Balarinji is located in a light and airy contemporary office in Crows Nest Sydney, close to public transport and all amenities.