Award-winning engineering consultancy, Friendly team environment, Diverse work culture.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Douglas Partners Pty Ltd is a home-grown geotechnical, environmental and groundwater consulting firm that excels at providing integrated practical solutions for clients. Our purpose is to provide Understanding and Solutions from the Earth's Surface Down. We love doing just that, and our clients tell us that we are the best - we are regular winners of client choice awards!
At the core of our character, Douglas Partners has established values of Honesty, Dependability, Cooperation, Positivity, Respect and Flexibility these values are what we like to see radiating from all our staff.
Our Newcastle office is the largest geotechnical engineering group in the Newcastle region. We undertake an extensive range of projects which allows our graduates to develop a broad range of skills and experience in residential, civil, large infrastructure and mining sectors.
About the Role
We are seeking a vibrant and driven Graduate Geotechnical Engineer to join our Newcastle team. In this role you will complement our consulting group so that projects continue to run efficiently and effectively, thus ultimately maintaining clients satisfaction.
As a Graduate Geotechnical Engineer you will:
- Undertake site investigation: compile an engineering log of the subsurface soil / rock in accordance with AS 1726:2017, development of a geotechnical model to characterise the site;
- Organisation and supervising field investigation works and manage a variety subcontractors (such as drilling rigs, CPT rigs, service locators, etc.) to complete the work within allotted timeframes and budgets;
- Visit construction sites to inspect footing excavations, road pavements, subdivisions, old mine grouting, piling works, retaining walls, dams, tunnels, as well as mine sites etc;
- Adhere to relevant Work Health and Safety requirements;
- Use QGIS, Slope W, Circly and Plaxis software etc, to analysis projects and determine solutions;
- Prepare proposals by scoping investigations to target project outcomes and client requirements;
- Write engineering reports: Geotechnical reports need to be tailored to specific site conditions to inform our clients of a representative ground model, highlight potential risks, and provide design opportunities and practical solutions. Report writing skills are developed over many years and Douglas Partners will assist you and encourage you during your career, with support from many highly experienced industry leading colleagues.
We understand that you may not possess much exposure to this type of work that is why we are renowned in the industry for training, professional development, guidance and mentoring from some of the industrys leaders to enhance your career pathway.
About the Candidate
To be considered for this role, the successful applicant will:
- Have a keen interest and passion for geotechnical engineering, geology and groundwater;
- Possess excellent written communication skills;
- Be able to communicate honestly and clearly with colleagues and clients;
- Be a passionate learner and adaptable to change;
- Demonstrate a positive can-do attitude;
- Competently operate effectively both in a small team environment and independently;
- Enjoy working outdoors and a flexible approach that may include operating onsite and in remote locations;
- Ambition for career progression and to eventually train and mentor others;
- Achieved a Bachelor of Engineer (BE) degree or similar; and
- Hold a current Australian drivers licence (manual).
Advantages and Benefits of Working for Douglas Partners
At Douglas Partners, we are committed to the objective of fostering a safe, supportive and cooperative work environment with efficient systems and diverse staff. Here you can enjoy working for a company that is committed to investing in your future. You will be part of a supportive environment where you will be encouraged to continue your career development to advance your skills and expertise.
Douglas Partners is a strong advocate for Engineers Australia, the national governing body for professional engineers, and provides incentives for obtaining chartered status (CPEng). We also provide attractive benefits for further education. We value loyalty, and after three years' service, superannuation contribution increases to 12%, together with providing increased annual leave entitlement after 5 years service.
If you believe you have the right stuff to thrive in this role, then please click on the Apply for this job button. With your application please provide the following:
- A brief cover letter;
- A resume and any work experience references; and
- A copy of university transcript.
This position is available to Australian citizens or permanent residents and for commencement between late 2020 and early 2021.