Contribute to student representation & wellbeing at Australia's no.1 university, Join a diverse family-friendly workplace with generous leave & work-life balance, Work in a beautiful, vibrant campus in the heart of Parkville, alongside the CBD.
The University of Melbourne Graduate Student Association (GSA) is the independent representative organisation for all graduate coursework and research students at the University of Melbourne. GSA is led by an elected Council of 15 graduate students, and on behalf of over 36,000 constituents represents graduate student interests to the University and wider community, provides facilities and services, delivers events and activities to promote graduate student community and academic excellence, and supports over 130 affiliated graduate student groups.
As the largest dedicated postgraduate association in Australia, GSAs vision is for cohesive communities that actively empower graduate students to achieve meaningful holistic outcomes and experiences. Our mission is to enable and build these communities through proactive, responsible representation and advocacy; purposeful, impactful services and support; and strong partnerships with the University of Melbourne and relevant stakeholders and agencies.
From our elected student council and our students sitting on University committees, to the leaders of our over 130 affiliated student groups, GSA has a diverse and vibrant community of postgraduate student leaders working on behalf of their peers to achieve positive change. GSAs Representation Team coordinates and supports these student leaders, and provides expert training and advice to help them be successful in their roles.
About the Role
The Manager, Marketing and Strategic communication will head the Communications Team, develop the marketing and strategic communication strategies of GSA to promote the activities, to drive brand awareness, student engagement and experience. The role will provide high level advice and support to the Council members, CEO and the executives to improve the organisations reputation and drive growth.
The role involves ensuring that GSAs purpose and values are promoted and reinforced across all of GSAs external communications. The role will ensure the information needs of GSAs key audiences: current and future graduate students, the University of Melbourne, the wider university community, and any partners, sponsors and stakeholders are met through improved efficiency and effective communication strategies.
The role is part time (FTE 0.8), and a two year fixed term contract.
Key Selection Criteria
- A communications-related degree and subsequent relevant experience of at least 4 years.
- Senior Executive and Leadership skills in similar organisation.
- Experience with departmental-level budget management.
- Experience in leading social marketing campaigns for community awareness and/or behaviour change.
- Ability to provide direction, supervision, leadership and support to the rest of the Communications Team.
- Ability to create high-level strategies and projects that drive the success of the organisations Strategic Plan.
- Highly developed project management skills, exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing and responding to media.
- A high level of familiarity with the tertiary education sector.
- Experience with visual communication, including video and graphic design.
- Understanding of broader student political landscape and student issues, such as mental health, diversity and inclusion, research, sustainability, academic integrity and career transitions.
- Strong technical knowledge and software skills related to communications and media, such as WordPress, HTML, MS Office and Adobe Creative Cloud.
GSA is committed to diversity and inclusion across our organisation, and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their age, ethnicity, cultural background, gender or sexual orientation, religious affiliation or ability.
Applications close 5pm on 3rd December 2019. Interviews to be held the week commencing 9th December 2019.