$106,988 + 9.5% Superannuation
Temporary for up to 12 months
As a leading local government, the City of Melbourne aims to achieve our goal for Melbourne to be a bold, inspirational and sustainable city. Each year we deliver a vast range of projects and programs, designed to ensure we remain one of the world’s most sustainable, accessible and equitable cities.
The City of Melbourne is committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety. We actively support diversity, inclusion and flexibility in our workplace and in turn are seeking people who can demonstrate and display our City of Melbourne values of accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and the desire to strive for excellence. Together we Make the Difference.
How this position will make the difference for Melbourne...
This position is one of two closely aligned roles responsible for developing, managing and delivering social media content that supports the objectives of the City of Melbourne (CoM) through our corporate platforms.
You will work closely with the Media and Communications teams to create new, engaging and sharable content that promotes council activities and community services.
You will be responsible for managing a high volume workload and will apply comprehensive knowledge of social and digital media trends to provide high quality advice to teams across the organisation about how best to engage on social media channels. The role will determine the best way to promote and execute CoM initiatives as well as manage reactive issues, and support real time customer service response.
The role maintains an awareness of the media environment and fosters productive relationships with stakeholders in the social space.
Your flexibility will be crucial as this role requires you to monitor social media activity out of hours and attend council events at weekends or after hours, as required.
This role would be a perfect opportunity for a savvy social media expert with a strong risk radar, who lives and breathes social media. You are a creative individual and have a passion in connecting with our community online.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – integrity, courage, accountability, respect and excellence
- Relevant Tertiary Degree (Public Relations, Media, Communications, Journalism, Digital, Social Media) together with extensive social media experience and a sound understanding of organisational messaging and positioning
- A track record of creating engaging content to maximise reputation opportunities and minimise negative coverage – particularly in a customer focused environment
- Proven experience in developing strong relationships and working proactively with all levels of an organisation to communicate complex messages and deliver on business outcomes
- Effective analytic, insight and measurement skills with the ability to think laterally, operate autonomously and take the initiative
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to identify risk, manage issues and use strong discretion and judgment in a complex business and political environment.
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter
- respond to the selection criteria, in a separate document (no more than two sides), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Letitia Hatton, Director, Public Affairs and Media
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The City of Melbourne respectfully acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, the Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation and pays respect to their Elders, past and present. We also recognise the strength and value of Aboriginal people and encourage their applications.
Enquiries: People, Culture and Leadership
Applications Close: 04/12/2019