MEDIUM SIZE PRODUCTION NURSERY GROWING 4.5M SEEDLINGS, DYNAMIC AND GROWING BUSINESS ENTERPRISE, BEAUTIFUL SCENIC RURAL LOCATION - NO TRAFFIC TO GET TO WORK.
Jayfields Nursery is a specialised container grown wholesale plant production nursery that commenced operations in 1987 on the property Jayfields 30 km north of Holbrook. . We are located only 1 hr from the major cities of Wagga Wagga and Albury.
The nursery has an annual production/capacity up to 4.5 million seedlings grown for a variety of revegetation projects, large and smaller scale forestry throughout QLD, NSW, and Victoria, as well as providing site preparation and contracting tree planting services.
Jayfields are recruiting a Nursery Manager to focussing on the establishment, maintenance and care of over 200 different species of native revegetation plants and mass production forestry requirements for our clients.
You will have a hands-on role in as the Nursery Manager in delivering on improvements in the Plant Cycle Management (PCM) process. I.e. The timing of sowing, grading, maintaining, prepping and dispatching native seedlings and radiata pines into the correct natural environment in the correct form for maximum survival.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Plant Cycle Management: Your key role is to manage the PCM and be responsible for all aspects of plant development through to delivery to our clients.
- : Operation and maintenance of overhead irrigation booms and water infrastructure.
- Nutrition: Deployment of nutrient and or insect control in accordance with plant health targets.
- : Manage the sowing process and efficient management of the potting shed.
- Order Management: Help pick, sort and prepare large scale client orders in accordance with plant health and nursery requirements
- General Duties: Coordinate the logistics/deliveries of plant/rack movements and the general cleanliness of the nursery site
- Weed Management: Ensure weeds are removed and managed throughout the nursery.
- Nursery Development: assist with developing best practice management of the nursery and its product through infrastructure, process upgrades and maintenance.
- Staff Management: Responsibility of the day to day management of approx 8 FTE staff members.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years experience within the nursery/horticulture ideally within a wholesale production nursery
- Post-secondary qualifications in agriculture, horticulture or similar will be highly regarded
- Extensive knowledge of plants, plant health and propagation techniques
- Knowledge and management of pests and diseases.
- Knowledge of machinery, infrastructure operation and maintenance requirements
- Chemical Certification qualification
- Current drivers license required (HR preferred but not essential)
- A team player who will fit in with our small and dedicated staff with a can do attitude
- Reliable, self-motivated and have effective organisation and time management skills.
- Ability and desire to learn, gain new and additional skills and improve nursery related competencies
- Commitment to Quality, tasks, and ability to persist and accomplish work in spite of obstacles and distractions, without direct supervision. Must take pride in their work.
- Attention to detail necessary for achieving established standards, ability to keep detailed and accurate records.
- Applicants should be physically fit as the role will require some heavy lifting and you need to be prepared to work in all weather conditions.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written and be able to manage and lead staff.
What we offer you in return:
A Permanent and stable position & competitive salary package (negotiable on experience)
Ongoing training and development
Excellent working conditions in a beautiful rural environment with supportive management
Financial Assistance to relocate to our rural area will be provided to the right candidate.
If you are looking to take the next step in your career and step up to Nursery Manager Role with an established and growing business in a scenic rural location (no traffic to get to work), then this is the role for you.