Exciting opportunity to work with refugees and asylum seekers, Meaningful role to make a difference with a charity, NFP tax benefits + great location.
Thrive Refugee Enterprise is a not-for-profit organisation that assists people of refugee and asylum-seeking background to start their own small businesses by providing small business loans and post loan mentoring/training support.
The Companys objectives are to positively transform the lives of refugees and asylum seekers by helping them build successful businesses and fulfilling lives so that they can both help themselves and make a meaningful contribution to the Australian economy and society.
Thrive was established with the generous financial backing of Westpac, private donors and the support of leading companies such as Allianz, Gilbert & Tobin, KPMG, Korn Ferry, Newgate Communications and Equifax.
Thrive helps refugees and asylum seekers start businesses by providing them with:
- Information about the Australian business scene and assisting them to prepare viable business plans.
- Microfinance loans. Thrive uses capital provided at no cost by Westpac and lends it at an attractive interest rate to refugees. The average loan is about $20,000.
- Post-loan mentoring to guide refugee entrepreneurs toward business success.
Thrive commenced operations in April 2017 and now has provided loans to help establish over 170 small businesses. It currently operates in Sydney and Melbourne but Thrive plans to add additional capital providers and expand nationally.
While a not-for-profit organisation, Thrive operates in a highly commercial and professional manner. This is reflected in the high calibre of the Board and Advisory Council.
THE GENERAL MANAGER ROLE
This role will be responsible for the day to day operations of Thrive which include:
- Effective development and management of client pipeline from new enquiries to approved clients
- Effective leadership of a small team of passionate team members across business development, credit assessment, marketing, risk/control
- Effective delivery of partnership programs that enhance Thrives brand awareness and market demand
- Effectively support the requirements of major stakeholders including donors, loan capital providers, and government
The role will report to the Executive Director and work alongside the CFO.
Location: Preferably Melbourne but Sydney is also a possibility for the right candidate
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
Whilst Thrive is a not for profit social enterprise, its fundamental operations are the provision of business loans to a target segment.
- Significant experience in small business lending including business development and managing portfolio performance
- Empathy with refugees and asylum seekers. Support the idea of making refugees self-sustainable and active members of the Australian community.
- Commercial judgment and sound business acumen.
- Strong operational experience and management of front line teams
- Integrity and a collaborative style and an ability to be an effective team member with strong interpersonal skills. He/she should also be willing to ask questions and be courageous where required.
- A good understanding of risk management processes and credit procedures for small business lending
Remuneration will be commensurate with a Not For Profit leadership role
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You are a current or former small business banker with responsibility for managing a region or customer segment.
You are passionate about business lending and the impact you can have on clients and their businesses.
Having spent many years in a corporate environment, you are seeking a change where you can make a meaningful society difference with your skills and experience.
You are also seeking a smaller organisation environment with fewer politics and greater impact.
Applications close 6th of December 2019.