12 month fixed term contract to commence January 2020, Salary commensurate with experience, Fun and supportive team environment.
We are looking for a committed and energetic individual who is passionate about raising the profile of Basketball in Victoria. We welcome applications for this rare opportunity to provide communications and media support to Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments, primarily focusing on Big V (when in season). The role will support the Communications and Marketing department and work directly with the Digital Content Producer during the duration of the Big V season. The role requires an individual who enjoys working in a flexible and dynamic environment and can hit the ground running.
Basketball Victoria (BV) is the governing body for the sport of Basketball in Victoria. The broad objectives of BV are to provide for the advancement, encouragement, conduct, promotion and administration of Basketball in Victoria.
In addition to supporting our affiliated Basketball associations, BV coordinates a number of participation and player, coach and officials development programs to encourage the development of socially desirable attitudes and values towards physical fitness and skill acquisition. This includes selection and development of players, teams or sides to represent BV in interstate and state matches; providing individuals with the opportunity to maximise their potential by competing in the highest level of Basketball possible, given their own ability.
BV works to provide greater access for individuals to participate in Basketball in the State of Victoria, by working with local, state and federal stakeholders to drive infrastructure growth. BV is a recognised leader in inclusive practice as evidenced by VicHealth granting exemplar status to advocate for increased access and equity for people with disabilities in all sports settings.
Key responsibilities for the role:
- Collaborate on and deliver communications strategies for Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments. These include Big V, VJBL, CBL, Hoop Time and various other tournaments.
- Manage the delivery and planning of the overall Big V communications and content plan.
- Manage the development of high quality and timely content across all our communication channels for all Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments.
- Be the lead for the communications team with all other Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments.
- Gather content, primarily, at Big V games (Saturday nights / Sundays when required) including video and photos when in season.
- Gather content when appropriate for all other Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments.
- Liaise with Big V clubs to help facilitate club generated content which can be digitally distributed through Blue Hoops productions (Podcasts, Web TV, EDMs etc).
- Manage the collection and distribution of Big V previews and reviews for each round.
- Manage the media wrap up for each Big V round and prepare weekly reports.
- Provide content and communications support to all Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments.
- Support the Marketing and Communications Manager with relevant communications strategies.
- Create web articles covering all Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments (both long and short form).
- Assist with social media content and distribution for Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments.
You will have the following experience:
- A tertiary qualification in Communications/PR or a related discipline and minimum 3 years experience in a related field or equivalent.
- Experience in content driven endeavours.
- Understanding of the content requirements for news media, social media and online engagement strategies.
- Understanding of building audience and engagement through multiple media channels, including Facebook, twitter, Instagram and emerging online communications.
- Knowledge of the current sports media landscape.
- Experience in traditional and online content planning and delivery.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with clubs, players, media and other key personnel.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills with high attention to detail.
- Highly organised with the ability to be self-motivated, responsive and flexible in an environment with time pressures and multiple priorities.
- Strong administration skills.
- Intermediate computer skills.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of Basketball Victoria operated leagues and tournaments, primarily Big V.
- Experience in a sport, peak-body or not-for-profit setting.
- Understanding of basketball or the broader sports sector in Australia.
- Experience in video production and editing
- Experience in Adobe Suite
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory proof of eligibility to work in Australia, reference checks a police check and a Working With Children Check. All applicants must have a current Victorian Drivers License. The role will involve some travel around Victoria and the working days will be flexible over the week/weekend during the Big V Season (March to September).
Basketball Victoria recognises the value of an inclusive and diverse work environment and we encourage applications from diverse candidates. Our recruitment decisions are based on the key inherent needs and requirements of each role, and candidates are selected based on their unique strengths and characteristics.
A detailed Position Description for the role is available upon request.
submit your CV and cover letter by 9am on 25/11/2019. Dont delay submitting your application as we will be reviewing applications and shortlisting as we receive them. Please note that due to the level of interest, only those shortlisted for this position will be contacted.